Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide PoisoningWhile carbon monoxide is not specifically a plumbing issue, poisoning from this dangerous gas kills hundreds each year in the United Statesalone.  Carbon monoxide is produced when any fuel is burned.  In most homes the danger comes from improperly vented gas appliances such as furnaces and water heaters.  Carbon monoxide is odorless which means you can become poisoned without any advance warning.  In addition to preventative maintenance on your home appliances, every home should be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.  If installed correctly and functioning properly, the detector should provide sufficient warning in the event of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.  For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, click this site from the Environmental Protection Agency.

This entry was posted in Plumbing Fixtures, Plumbing Maintenance, Water Heaters and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.